• Welcome to the new Distech Automation Forum!
  • Feel free to post questions, comments, and feedback.
  • Ask us anything!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filament getting massively tangled around gear in extruders on purge-retract script
@kodachrome

You can try it, but I have never tested that particular filament so I cannot say for sure. I would just say that most PLA or ABS-based filaments should be fine! You should follow the instructions for drying your filament before printing. Also, post that pic of your hot end so we can make sure it is properly assembled with a 12mm melt zone.

Bear in mind my Prometheus Hotends were already up and running for months/year, I didnt disassemble them and rebuild for the P System install. The temp sensor and wiring really don't like being disturbed after months of usage and plastic cake on.

Looking at my second Hotend (the non-beta V2), roughly measured the MZ, its about 14-15mm, as per the Hotend's (standalone, not the section in the P System user guide) build instructions. That's actually conservative for a 0.6mm tip.
I can't see any specific mention of 12mm MZ length requirement in the P System user guide though? Just a picture with a single nut on it. Why does it have to be 12mm, regardless of the tip diameter?

@kodachrome

All of the components need to be assembled exactly according to the Prometheus System instructions. Every step in the instructions is important which is why we warn users at the beginning of the instructions to follow each step carefully. Following the instructions precisely avoids nearly all possible issues with assembly. That includes the assembly steps for the hot end. The Prometheus V2 must be assembled with a 12mm melt-zone to ensure reliable filament switching. This has to do with the volume/speed of filament purging. It must be 12mm, otherwise, you will get stringing. If you reassemble your hot end with a 12mm melt-zone (even if you are using a 0.6mm nozzle) you should be able to get away with using the standard filament switching G-code without any adjustments.

So spent the hours disassembling and reassembling the hotend, set the MZ to 12mm. Made zero difference mind you and I can now see whats happening. The toothed gear in the new extruders is vastly more "bitey" than the stock Rostock Extruder. Subjectively a good thing but in practice any minor resistance to extruding (its not the purge retract script as Im testing single colour printing now, for days) on the hotend and it simply rams into the obstruction and curls up the filament if there is any flex in it at all. For shits and giggles, I tried my Polyflex in it, which is specifically designed as Bowden ok.. not any more! Its horrific now when it was previously printable (with some technique mind you ) with the vanilla (non system) Prometheus Hotend on its own.

Bit of a shame, Ive gained 2 colour printing with some filaments but lost the ability to print a load of other more exotic materials!

@kodachrome

The dual extrusion system is specifically aimed at PLA, ABS, and PVA (Scaffold support) materials as mentioned in the User Guide. Have you tried printing ABS?(or PLA?) with the Prometheus System. Please try a recommended filament so that you can get it dialed in to test the dual extrusion. Let us know how it goes!

Yeah you are right and I will indeed get fresher, nicer filament soon. I think its actually all working fine.. except my filament experiments have proved too much for the acrylic. I checked it out today and the main extruder I was using had cracks all over it, when I took it apart it basically fell to bits.

Do you sell just the acrylic fittings for the extruders? If it was one part I might print an STL out, but too many parts to introduce such variance's.

thanks!

(09-17-2017, 09:56 AM)3DPrintingReviews Wrote: @kodachrome

I had a similar issue when I first started using the Prometheus System, make sure the grub screws on the drive gear are not loose and I printed some other collet locks off Thingiverse as I found they didn't hold the PTFE.

J.

Can you link to the ones you used?  I'm having issues as well, even with many layers of tape on them.  And the nylon c-clips like to vibrate out on me.

I have the same problem with the extruders, but using ABS (which is older, i admit).  I've been considering slowing down the high extruder speed, has anybody tried this?

(09-21-2017, 10:56 PM)xyrth Wrote:

I had a similar issue when I first started using the Prometheus System, make sure the grub screws on the drive gear are not loose and I printed some other collet locks off Thingiverse as I found they didn't hold the PTFE.

J.

Can you link to the ones you used?  I'm having issues as well, even with many layers of tape on them.  And the nylon c-clips like to vibrate out on me.

I have the same problem with the extruders, but using ABS (which is older, i admit).  I've been considering slowing down the high extruder speed, has anybody tried this?

Sure these are the ones I used, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:936611.

J.
Jay's 3D Adventure
Twitter:
twitter.com/Jays3DAdventure
Instagram:
instagram.com/jays_3d_adventure/
YouTube:
t.co/GesyvQVrZP

(09-22-2017, 08:47 AM)3DPrintingReviews Wrote:
(09-21-2017, 10:56 PM)xyrth Wrote:

J.

Sure these are the ones I used, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:936611.

J.

Thanks.

An update to my earlier post, using the second extruder now, which only got about 20% of the use in the testing and setup as the first and the acrylic rocker arm pressing the filament against the gear has also cracked apart. I really dont think these should be made from acrylic!! And yes I did set the spring to 14mm tension (which I think is too much, but the guide wanted it).

Warning to others, the filament gets jammed (as in spooled out through the fitting) more than a handful of times, it pretty much destroys the acrylic fittings on the extruders! Sad